Thursday, May 10, 2007

Microbrew Review of Troegs Sunshine Pils

Not being a huge fan of Pils style microbrews, I was a little hesitant in snagging a twelve ounce bottle of my own in-state Pennsylvania Troegs microbrewery's Sunshine Pils. The fact that Pils brews is not my personal preference was the first hurdle. Second was the visual image of the label (a somewhat grimacing Mr. Sun on the bottle) which wasn't doing a whole lot for me either. It was bright yellow, airy looking and a little bit too corny looking to lure me into curiosity based on packaging looks alone. But knowing this Troegs brewery's tracking record and their quality beers, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Pouring the brew into an unchilled mug, this little guy is clear, very very clear. It's almost too light, bright and clear to look anything like beer. I think it's lighter in color than Coors Light if that tells you anything. Very thin looking in appearance. Already, I was starting to get a little bit worried. How thin can this beer be I was thinking.

Well, I was wrong. It's not the prettiest beer to look at in a clear glass mug that's for sure. But the flavor folks, that's where it's at. This brew has flavor, and plenty of it. Nice level of bitterness cascaded over my tongue and it actually gave me a "full bodied" impression. This microbrew was crisp, refreshing and hoppy just as the label described this Pilsner to be.

Nothing was missing overall. Very flavorful, very satisfying, just enough hoppiness for me personally and yet, Troegs Sunshine Pils was very light (but again, not light in a bad sense). I could probably drink this one all day long on a hot summer's afternoon. Maybe I'm going to have to re-think my overall opinions of the pilsner microbrew style.

I'd have to be honest in saying that my predisposition to this (based on my lack of taste for pilsner beers and also due to the somewhat unappealing labelling on the bottle)probably led to me judging this beer a little higher than the, more experienced and grizzled pils beer veteran. I guess it just really surprised me more than anything. Someone who's sampled hundreds of the world's greatest pilsners may not have the same kind words to share for a microbrew review on Troegs Sunshine Pilsner, but I have to give this one a thumbs up.

Next time you're going to be spending a hot summer's afternoon mowing the lawn, pick up a few bottles of Troegs Sunshine Pils for your own six pack cooler and do your own Troegs beer review. This is just one in many fine microbrew offerings from one of Pennsylvania's excellent microbreweries. I'll get into more of those other Troegs brews later on. Until then, try Troegs Sunshine Pils and please review!

You can check out more reviews of new microbrews and fun microbrew and craft beer related info at Microbrew Review or My Squidoo Lens. Check out Summer Microbrew too!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home